San Francisco Ballet Gala 2017, Ever Magical, inspired some extraordinary evening gowns. My top five (in alphabetical order): Vanessa Jean-Baptiste in Vasily Vein, Paula Carano in Naeem Khan, Huifen Chan in Valentino, Hannah Comolli in Gucci and Kelsey Lamond in Jenny Packham.
Red Carpet Bay Area Top Five Evening Gowns on Opening Night at San Francisco Ballet:
Custom Gowns from Small Design Houses
Gowns designed locally for the occasion included Gala chair Avé Seltsam‘s light blue satin and tulle confection from Karen Caldwell, and an ethereal light blue by Vasily Vein on Vanessa Jean-Baptiste that perfectly complimented her beautiful figure. For more designs by Karen Caldwell and Vasily Vein at the event, see Parties on Opening Night. Margaret Mitchell tapped fashion designer Christopher Collins for a made-to-measure black velvet and gold lace column. Norah Stone‘s artistic evening ensemble was custom designed by Andrea Spiridonakis, a former ballerina.
More Extraordinary Evening Gowns on Opening Night at the Ballet:
International Designers Represented
In the major international designers category, I spotted a delightful madcap patterned Gucci sequined gown on Hannah Comolli. An exquisite navy tulle and sequined gown by Jenny Packham on Kelsey Lamond, and a bubbly high-low ballgown designed by Rubin Singer on Deepa Pakianathan (for another stunning style from Rubin Singer, and the designer himself, see Parties on Opening Night). Principal dancer Yuan Yuan Tan wore an unforgettable black velvet and white beaded gown by Tom Ford. Also stunning in black and white, Madison Dempster in Sachin & Bobi Noir.
Forever a red carpet standout, Paula Carano turned heads in a white gown with embroidered flowers by Naeem Khan. I was also struck by Carolyn Chang in a modern Sophie Theallet, Nancy Kukacka in an edgy Altuzarra and Suzy Kellems Dominick in black velvet and feathers by Ralph Rucci Couture. Huifen Chan looked dreamy in a shimmery, sheer Victorian style Valentino. On the bright side, Komal Shah chose a coral ballgown with embroidered detail by Monique Lhuillier, and Beth Grossman rocked the color in a rich lace and embroidered column by Erdem.
For more style from the event, see VIPs on Opening Night and Parties on Opening Night at San Francisco Ballet.
Photos by Drew Altizer Photography
— Related — Red Carpet Bay Area coverage of more San Francisco Ballet opening events:
- San Francisco Ballet Sets the Bar[re] (2016)
- Encores on San Francisco Ballet Opening Night (2016)
- A Provocative Opening Night (2016)
- Red Carpet Style on Opening Night at the Ballet (2015)
- Infinite Romance at San Francisco Ballet Gala (2015)
- Cute Couples at Encore!’s Opening Night Party (2015)
- A Phenomenal Night for San Francisco Ballet (2014)
- Red Carpet Favorites at San Francisco Ballet Gala (2014)
- The Late Scene on Opening Night at San Francisco Ballet (2014)
- San Francisco Ballet’s Global Tribute (2013)
- Encore! on Opening Night for San Francisco Ballet (2013)
- High Style at San Francisco Ballet’s Opening Night Gala (2012)
- Date Night at the Ballet (2012)
- San Francisco Ballet Gala Honors Helgi Tomasson (2010)
- Encore! Gala for San Francisco Ballet (2010)
- San Francisco Ballet Opening Gala Video (2009)