A Phenomenal opening event for San Francisco Ballet attracted a capacity audience of 3,100 to the War Memorial Opera House on January 22, 2014. Gala chairwoman Tanya Marietta Powell chose the theme and title Phenomenal for the 81st season opening.
The Phenomenal theme carried out in the gala performance, dinner and after-party. Artistic director Helgi Tomasson presented 12 short classical and contemporary excerpts as part of the one-night-only program. With a committee of 25 women from the Ballet’s Auxiliary, Powell organized a pre-performance cocktail reception and formal dinner under the dome at City Hall for some 950 patrons, benefactors, and grand benefactors.
Scenes from A Phenomenal Opening Night for San Francisco Ballet:
San Francisco Ballet’s Encore! group of young professionals hosted a cocktail buffet for some 200 guests, also at City Hall on opening night, nearby in the South Light Court. The Encore! party was chaired by Alyson Blume with help from vice chair Greer Goings. Tickets started at $300 and included dinner, performance, and after-party. Nearly 1,000 ballet enthusiasts opted to skip dinner and attend the performance and after-party, for $150. All in, on opening night 2014, the San Francisco Ballet raised more than $2.4 million, a record-breaking and phenomenal amount.
— Related: Red Carpet Bay Area coverage of more San Francisco Ballet Opening Gala events:
- Red Carpet Style on Opening Night at the Ballet (2015)
- Infinite Romance at San Francisco Ballet Gala (2015)
- Cute Couples at Encore!’s Opening Night Party (2015)
- The Late Scene on Opening Night at San Francisco Ballet (2014)
- San Francisco Ballet’s Global Tribute (2013)
- Encore! on Opening Night for San Francisco Ballet (2013)
- High Style at San Francisco Ballet’s Opening Night Gala (2012)
- Date Night at the Ballet (2012)
- San Francisco Ballet Gala Honors Helgi Tomasson (2010)
- Encore! Gala for San Francisco Ballet (2010)
- San Francisco Ballet Opening Gala Video (2009)
Photos by Drew Altizer Photography