San Francisco Ballet opened its 80th season on January 24, 2013, with a gala themed “Moving the Compass — bridging the globe through the universal language of dance.” African drummers greeted dinner guests at City Hall prior to the performance. Projections of ornate compasses filled the Grand Dome, and a rich color palette set the tone.
Onstage at the War Memorial Opera House, Artistic Director and Principal Choreographer Helgi Tomasson showcased the company’s versatility and range with eleven classic and contemporary works and excerpts.
Red carpet style on opening night:
Photos by Drew Altizer Photography
— Related: Red Carpet Bay Area coverage of more San Francisco Ballet Opening Gala events:
- Red Carpet Style on Opening Night at the Ballet (2015)
- Infinite Romance at San Francisco Ballet Gala (2015)
- Cute Couples at Encore!’s Opening Night Party (2015)
- A Phenomenal Night for San Francisco Ballet (2014)
- The Late Scene on Opening Night at San Francisco Ballet (2014)
- Encore! on Opening Night for San Francisco Ballet (2013)
- High Style at San Francisco Ballet’s Opening Night Gala (2012)
- Date Night at the Ballet (2012)
- San Francisco Ballet Gala Honors Helgi Tomasson (2010)
- Encore! Gala for San Francisco Ballet (2010)
- San Francisco Ballet Opening Gala Video (2009)