San Francisco Opera opened its 93rd season on September 11, 2015, and the audience did not disappoint. A near capacity crowd of 3,000 filled the seats at the War Memorial Opera House for Verdi’s Louisa Miller, produced by Francesca Zambello. Some 800 filled the tent for Opera Ball, and 300 gathered at Jardiniere restaurant for the BRAVO! post-performance party.
The pre-performance dinner and after-party branded Opera Ball inspired gowns and dresses worthy of any red carpet. My top-ten looks, in alphabetical order: Barbara Brown in Alexander McQueen, Paula Carano in Oscar de la Renta, Carolyn Chandler in Reem Acra, Carolyn Chang in Andrew Gn, Nancy Kukacka in Tom Ford, Stephanie Marver in Oscar de la Renta, Deepa Pakianathan in Rubin Singer, Paula Pretlow in Oscar de la Renta, Komal Shah in Oscar de la Renta, Mary Beth Shimmon in J Mendel and Allison Speer in Andrew Gn.
Red Carpet Bay Area Top Ten at Opera Ball:
Photos by Drew Altizer Photography
If you counted, you know I did not narrow it down to ten! In addition, high honors to all of the women who wore creations from local fashion designer Vasily Vein.
— Related — More Red Carpet Bay Area coverage for San Francisco Opera season opening events:
- BRAVO! Rocked Opening Night at the Opera
- Opera Ball 2014: Passione
- San Francisco Opera Opening Weekend 2014
- Opera Ball in the Garden of Good and Evil (2013)
- Style on Opening Night at the Opera 2012
- Opening Nights in San Francisco, 2011
- Night on the Nile (Opera Ball 2010)
- San Francisco Opera’s Opulent Night (2009)
- Red Carpet Style at Opera Ball 2008