Inspired by Valentine’s Day, 2011, Red Carpet Bay Area asked six couples who have been together for more than ten years to share a tip or two about how they keep the romance alive.
Jillian Manus and Alan Salzman, together over 20 years or longer (they think they knew one another in a past life). Jillian shared some of their secrets:
- We laugh a lot! We think humor is the key to a lasting relationship.
- We respect one another’s space. I have my own purposes and passions and so does Alan.
- Jillian’s nickname for Alan is Shucky, because he is part ducky, cute and cuddly, and part shark, focused and fierce! Alan calls Jillian Honey-Do because he thinks she can do anything – and she tries to do everything.
Mylea Charvat and Mark Walther, together for 12 years, married for seven. Mylea said she and Mark talk a lot and about everything, and they actively listen to one another. Most importantly, she said, they are realistic about what it means to love another person: “It is not going to be hot and sexy all the time – it is making a life together and choosing to stay together even when we don’t feel like it. We ride it out and those feelings come back, and we find new reasons to love one another.”
Sobia and Nadir Shaikh will celebrate 14 years of marriage on April 12, 2011. Sobia revealed a few secrets of their success:
- We speak to each other on the phone four or five times a day, even if he’s traveling in Asia or Europe
- If we have a fight, we always make up before going to sleep
- We celebrate Valentine’s Day, our birthdays and our anniversaries over romantic dinners at favorite restaurants
- Sobia tells Nadir EVERYTHING, and he always listens
- Nadir surprises Sobia with great gifts
- We remember to say ‘ I love you’ every day
Mitchell Benjamin and Ricky Serbin have been together for 11 years. Their tip for keeping the romance alive: “Humor; we make each other laugh.”
Amber Marie and Christopher Bently, married for 10 years, together for 13. Amber Marie said, “Christopher is a dream and very patient with me. We prioritize making one another feel beautiful and special – communicating, touching and complimenting are vital.”
Kris and Dr. Jim Anthony, married for nine years, schedule date nights and time for “just us,” where they talk about their relationship rather than kids or work.
Happy Valentine’s Day from Red Carpet Bay Area!