Hisham Mayet, Sublime Frequencies, de Young, Red Carpet Bay Area
Fridays at the de Young: An Evening with Hisham Mayet of Sublime Frequencies
Join us Friday, October 13th, for an evening of music and lectures with Hisham Mayet of legendary label Sublime Frequencies.
Starting at 6pm, Mayet brings rare and intimate sounds and images gathered from explorations around the world.
Following a DJ set of international folk and pop music from his extensive music collection gathered throughout travels in Southeast Asia, North Africa, West Africa, and the Middle East, Mayet will lecture on his latest project based on in-depth collaboration with pioneering composer and musicologist Charles Duvelle.
EVENTS & ACTIVITIES:
• ’’Outernational,’ Music 6-7:30 pm in Wilsey Court
• Lecture and listening: Charles Duvelle – Disques OCORA, 7:30-8:15pm in Piazzoni Murals Room
• ‘The New World,’ by Rudy Lemcke, October Artist-in-Residence, in the artist studio
• *New* Focused mindfulness tours of permanent collection
• Chat to community reps, 6-8pm in ‘Revelations: Art from the African American South’ and ‘Teotihuacan’ galleries
• Mixed-media art-making stations
Please note: Public programs and permanent collection admission are free. Gallery admission to ‘Teotihuacan: City of Water, City of Fire’ is provided free, courtesy of NEH. Additional fees apply for drinks and dining.